Legal project management (LPM) involves a systematic planning approach to the practice of law in order to clarify client expectations and establish budget accountability. LegalShift helps law departments better manage work through introduction of formal LPM concepts and solutions. Our affiliation with Baker Donelson—one of the first of only a few law firms internationally to invest in development of its own LPM program and supporting automation—allows us to make use of the BakerManage™ solution set, inclusive of strategy, best practice processes, organizational refinement and tools.
BakerManage™ LPM Program Development & Training: LegalShift will help your law department establish and enforce an effective program for better managing legal matters/projects. Using the BakerManage™ solution set, the components of this proven LPM Program include:
- Lean Process Improvement uses a process improvement methodology designed specifically for legal matters. Our Lean-certified professionals are focused on identifying and eliminating waste, while managing legal matters more efficiently.
- Reliable Budgeting uses a formalized evaluation and estimate of work required to meet client objectives to create project budgets broken down into phases, deliverables, timing and rates.
- Innovative Pricing makes use of in-house/outside counsel collaboration to establish an appropriate pricing model—a key element in creating a “win-win” relationship. To facilitate this process and determine which potential alternative fee arrangements (AFAs) will likely achieve business and legal objectives, we work closely with our clients to understand their businesses and define pricing models that best promote predictability and transparency of work effort.
- Team Management enables our advisory team to help you develop a work management system for all of your legal matters, whether you’re dealing with one matter and one firm, dozens of projects and multiple firms, or management of your own in-house legal staff.
- Enterprise Lawyer Management Technology automates and structures legal processes via work management, budgeting, management and pricing software systems.
BakerManage™ Workflow Management leverages automation to capture, structure and routinize BakerManage™ and other processes to positively impact efficiency, speed delivery and enable transparency. We know that legal resource optimization and balancing is a material benefit desired by most law department managers.
LPM Secondment/Sourcing LegalShift resources can be used to augment or second LPM efforts for organizations that have limited availability and/or acumen in the LPM area.
LegalShift understands process improvement as a distinct and formal discipline. Many of our consultants are PMP-certified and understand the principles of Six Sigma and Lean. As importantly, we recognize and understand each type of legal practice as having its own unique workflows and data tracking requirements.
- Legal Process Improvement Clients expect their lawyers to be cost efficient and effective in the delivery of legal service, yet many current policies and procedures produce an opposite reaction. LegalShift is unique in knowing the expectations and working practices of both law departments and their law firms. We apply formal disciplines of process improvement and change management—project management, process mapping/modeling, data analytics, etc.—to achieve measurable change and sustainable results.
- Contract Workflow Strategy Identifying and adopting best practice processes for managing contracts throughout their lifecycle of request, authoring, negotiation, execution, administration, and renewal can present both political and risk management issues. LegalShift is expert at bringing all parties to the table to achieve consensus around how best to streamline and administer contracts as they move through the enterprise.
- Litigation Readiness Assessment LegalShift will optimize and document processes associated with creation of legally defensible, forensically sound litigation best practices—including the identification, preservation and collection of evidentiary materials under a legal hold or regulatory order. The review and documentation of your eDiscovery practices and assessment of software tools and their configuration is essential to proving you have an institutional approach to managing litigation you know is likely coming through the door.
- IP Paper-less Process Design A paper and date intensive practice such as intellectual property is potentially fraught with errors in the daily administration and maintenance of an intellectual asset portfolio and docket. While the complete removal of physical documents is a long-term strategy, LegalShift will help move you away from complete reliance on paper-based authoritative source repositories and instead digitize work product and streamline workflows to ensure a more cost efficient and effective process for docketing and records management.
- Business Operations Re(design) Today’s legal operations professionals are involved in nearly every aspect of running a department or firm, with the exception of practicing law and managing lawyers who practice. Their responsibilities are many and varied, often encompassing wide-ranging skills in areas of organizational management and resourcing, financial administration, business strategy and technology automation and support. LegalShift will assess the state of your business operations, recommending and applying what we know to be previously implemented and proven industry best practices that enhance business value while doing more with less.
Ensuring that the right work is done by the right resource at the right time—with no duplication of effort—is not an easy task.
- Workload Analysis to identify whether the right work is being done by the right resources. Through methods of observation and data analysis, LegalShift will perform a work distribution analysis by client and type of legal work, assessing the relative complexity of matters for each lawyer and the amount of time spent in dealing with client requests that could be performed more effectively and cost efficiently by lower cost professionals. The result is additional capacity to allow allocation of higher cost resources to strategic matters, saving on external legal spend by in-sourcing complex work while supporting professional development.
- Outside Counsel Management LegalShift is expert in developing programs designed to better manage legal vendors. While reducing spend is an important component of this, the greater objective should be building a “win-win” relationship of collaboration, trust and reward. Doing so often involves developing programs designed to effectively evaluate and select vendors, communicate expectations (e.g., outside counsel guidelines, early case assessments, etc.), and monitor, measure and report on service delivery success.
- Law Firm Convergence to achieve greater transparency into legal costs, more consistent billing practices and quantifiable metrics to assess law firm capabilities and performance. LegalShift will help you develop a convergence program—from RFP through evaluation, selection and monitoring—to achieve deeper relationships with a smaller number of firms incentivized to better understand your needs, improve collaboration, and provide high-quality service delivered at a fair-value.
While many consultancies look to offer transparency into legal spend through identification of metrics and analysis of spend data, the LegalShift approach is to go one-step beyond; developing programs and processes for minimizing spend before it occurs.
- Matter Budget Compliance Program Development General Counsel want reasonable estimates of the overall costs of a matter and expect their lawyers—both inside and out—to implement internal controls to manage to those estimates. LegalShift helps law departments identify formal processes for developing reliable budgets, designate thresholds for when these processes are necessary, and communicate with outside counsel to set expectations and exchange best practices.
- Pricing Model Development Identifying and agreeing to an appropriate pricing model is a collaborative effort and key element in creating a “win-win” relationship. The General Counsel achieves more predictability while the law firm increases its probability of greater profitability and client satisfaction. LegalShift helps law firms assess the efficacy of their pricing processes and develop change management policies and procedures to institutionalize the pricing process across the firm.
LegalShift assesses the information needs, operational practices and supporting technology architecture of the Legal Department. This assessment is essential to understanding the holistic needs of the legal function and enabling an environment in which all lawyers—both in-house and outside counsel—work together in the most efficient and collaborative manner to better manage risk, control legal spend and improve quality assurance of work product deliverables.
- Technology Assessment, Recommendations & Roadmap is a first step in understanding an organizations’ information needs and the technology architecture needed to support both business and system requirements. LegalShift is expert in assessing and building an information architecture blueprint to support the business requirements of its clients and developing a comprehensive roadmap for getting there.
- Solution Selection is a formal and comprehensive process of requirements review, best-of-breed candidate selection, RFP preparation, vendor/product evaluation, and final purchase. LegalShift uses its knowledge of market-leading applications to narrow choices, facilitate product demonstrations, and resolve open issues to reach a final selection consensus.
- Implementation Assistance to help you with project planning, resource and task management, system design and configuration, data conversion/transfer, user acceptance testing, training planning and user support. Our consultants can serve as the general contractor, responsible for all aspects of implementation, or augment your internal or vendor project team to serve as subject matter experts, deployment specialists and/or change agents.
LegalShift specializes in tools and methods designed to leverage work product and institutional knowledge. This includes using Baker Donelson’s BakerManage™ solution set to improve collaborative efficiencies, the delivery of substantive legal work, and the management of outside counsel.
- Knowledge Management Program Development is used to identify your sources of useful information and their appropriate packaging, delivery and presentation to lawyers. Once identified and mapped, LegalShift will work with you to develop a program to institutionalize the gathering and dissemination of targeted information used in decision-making.
- Contract Discovery & Compliance to quickly and cost-effectively find the contractual data needed to uncover hidden opportunities and risk. Typical challenges include detection of non-standard clauses, analysis of previously accepted clauses (to determine best clauses for future use), and finding and extracting specific contracts relating to the relevant matter. LegalShift methods and supporting technologies will help you rapidly locate existing contracts wherever they reside across the enterprise, automatically extracting key terms and clauses, rendering them for easy review, and populating other corporate solutions (CRM, CLM, ERP etc.).
- Practice Support Solution Design (e.g., Microsoft Matter Center) to leverage the full power behind your technology and achieve the return on investment you expect. LegalShift is expert in both legal process best practices as well as market-leading, legal-specific software spanning matter management, eBilling, business intelligence, financials and reporting, IT, HR, docket, matter intake, conflicts, records, LPM, enterprise search, workflow, document management, records management, knowledge management, litigation support, eDiscovery, ethical walls and most other operational support toolsets. We don’t just focus on getting solutions installed, we get them used.
eDiscovery is one of the costliest phases of litigation and requires the close coordination of several varied participants. From the in-house legal team, to the company information technology professionals, to outside counsel, to outside service providers for staffing resources and eDiscovery technology, eDiscovery requires alignment of all to maximize efficiency. LegalShift does not sell technology or review services directly and hope for a good outcome. Instead, LegalShift treats eDiscovery as a recurring business and legal process. We incrementally lower eDiscovery cost by designing an efficient process, selecting the right vendors for each matter, and measuring financial and operational performance. LegalShift is your “eDiscovery General Contractor,” ensuring eDiscovery is closely aligned with your legal strategy and performed at the lowest cost.
- eDiscovery Process Improvement. LegalShift will leverage its expertise to design and implement a more efficient eDiscovery process that is aligned with your litigation needs. Our assessment and coordination services will deliver a unified eDiscovery approach that reduces eDiscovery-related costs and legal delays, while improving support for merits counsel.
- Vendor Selection. LegalShift will assist you to select the right staffing and technology partners for each matter. Using the right partners, and coordinating their activities into a single integrated process, dramatically reduces eDiscovery cost and disruption, and links eDiscovery investments more closely to your litigation goals.
- Performance Measurements. Reducing eDiscovery costs requires careful measurement of the primary cost drivers. Legal Shift analyzes your litigation and eDiscovery data, develops an accurate eDiscovery budget, and provides the substantiation you need to leverage the proportionality argument under the newly revised Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Across matters, LegalShift will identify the key performance indicators (KPI) that drive your eDiscovery costs, and enable your organization to relentlessly eliminate non-value add activities from the eDiscovery process.
- Repository Management. Corporations with frequent litigation often need to collect and review the same documents for different matters. Leveraging attorney work product from one case to another can substantially reduce legal spend. LegalShift will design an approach that facilitates reuse of work product across matters to reduce legal spend.
For more information about LegalShift please email us at [email protected] or call us at 844 SHIFT US (844-744-3887).